Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Eating Right..

I did a post last year about dieting, eating right, etc. I don't like to call it a "diet." We should ALL be eating this way, so I consider it a healthy lifestyle. Call it what you want, but I have never found success in starving myself and not getting to enjoy the things I love. I adore cooking, a good glass of wine, sushi, etc. I love good food, period....For many of you, following a diet plan is difficult and requires some work. I agree with you to a certain extent, but it does NOT have to be hard. I wil not sit here and tell you that I do not fall off the bandwagon. It happens...I eat fried food, pasta, pizza, enjoy my occasional Diet Dr. Pepper here and there, and skip the gym quite often....It does not make me feel good, but I'm human. We ALL enjoy the occasional "cheat night." Vacation is another time that I suffer...I do not want to watch everything I eat and drink while I'm on vacation..I just don't..In that case, the moment I get BACK from vacation, I'm back to my good eating habits. I eat a lot of veggies, fruit, and grains. I have learned that I MUST cook and eat well, to feel well...Period...If you think you're going to eat a hamburger everyday and still feel good, you're mistaken..I know for many SAHM's, eating healthy can be hard. Whatever you fix your child, you'll fix yourself the same thing...Learn to fix smarter and healthier meals for your children, so you don't feel guilty feeding your body the same thing...Granted, I do not have children, but I can promise you this....If I wouldn't eat it, I would not give it to my children...Period....Here is a list of some things I eat on a regular basis....


1. Breakfast--I eat breakfast. I cannot leave the house without it. It is the most IMPORTANT meal of the day, so I always make sure it counts. I love egg whites, fruit, toast, turkey sausage, grits, and the Smart Ones breakfast sandwiches. I don't have a lot of time in the morning for a gourment breakfast, but I'll get up a little earlier to make sure I have time to sit down and eat SOMETHING. Word of advice: DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST!

2. Lunch--I teach school, so I'm often not out and about during the day. I pack my lunch box with different things everyday. I'll sometimes have a turkey sandwich with a side of fruit and a handful of baked Lays, or I will pack a Smart Ones meal if I'm running late and do not have time to make my lunch. Often, I will stop by Subway and get a 6' inch Veggie Sub. I LOVE Subway. It is so filling and healthy. Lots of times, I will pack a salad. I always make sure to eat lots and lots of veggies. I love salads anyway, so it is not a problem for me. If you eat lunch, keep it healthy. I don't like to fill overly full during the course of the day, so I make sure to include veggies and fruit. If you have a job where you can eat out, download an app on your phone. I often will check the calorie and fat intake before I go out for lunch somewhere. It helps me decide what to order.

3. Dinner- I love to cook. When I fix a meal, I usually always keep it healthy. I cook a lot of chicken, pork chops, fish, veggies, etc. I do not fix many casseroles. I will, but there are usually a lot of hidden calories, so I tend to keep my casseroles down to a minimum. If you have never used Cooking Light, I HIGHLY suggest it. I use their website a TON. It tells you the Nutritional Facts for every recipe they have! I hardly ever cook with butter, but will use olive oil as a substitute. There are numerous recipes online to make your veggies delicious. If we eat out for dinner, I usually will let that be my "Cheat Night." If I have already had a "Cheat Night," I will work out extra hard that next morning ;) Remember: It is okay..

4. Snacks-- I don't snack a lot...I never really have...If I DO decide to have a snack, I usually eat yogurt, popcorn, string cheese with Wheat Thins, or TCBY. I like the occasional salsa and chips, too...Can you blame me?? ;) I try to keep pickles, grape tomatoes, celery, carrots, etc. in the fridge.

I hope this has helped some! I know it was probably WAY TOO LONG, but I wanted to give you an idea of how I keep up with my eating and what I do to balance and keep my diet healthy.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

All of this food sounds yummy and you didn't mention anything bad. :)