Monday, December 5, 2011

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup Recipe..

Yesterday was rainy, I had a ton of homework to do, and Sam did not feel well, so naturally, I busted out the crock pot. I was hungry for a soup, but I also thought it would make him feel better, so I signed on to Pinterst to try out one of my recipes I had pinned. I love soups...I could literally eat them all day, everyday. I stumbled across this yummy Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup recipe last week. After reading the recipe, I IMMEDIATELY knew I wanted to make it. It seemed super,duper easy! I changed a few of the ingredients up...We do not like celery, so I used up some asparagus I had in the fridge....Also, I like spicy foods, so I added a 4 oz can of green chilies and a couple diced adobe peppers. It gave it a nice "twang." Over-all, I HIGHLY suggest this soup. It's easy, tastes good, and goes a very long way! Enjoy! 


Makes about 2 quarts

2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
1 T dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
4 cups chicken broth
½ bay leaf
½ cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup butter
2 cups half and half, warmed
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper

Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil (if using fresh oregano and basil, if using dried oregano and basil add it in the last hour of cooktime), and bay leaf to a large slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft. About an hour before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for another hour until ready to serve.

1 comment:

Sunkissed and Southern said...

yum! im a soup type of person too