Friday, November 21, 2014

Thanksgiving Menu

I love Thanksgiving time. It's so much fun getting with your family and enjoying a wonderful meal. My brother is a fireman, so he will be working Thanksgiving day, so we are having our Thanksgiving feast a day early. I'm excited to help with all of the cooking because my husband and I won't be home for Christmas this year. I want to help as much as I can because I know it's going to be a lot of work at Christmas without my set of hands. I absolutely love to cook, so I'm excited to help! I usually make the usual Thanksgiving recipes, but I wanted to change it up a bit this time.  For appetizer, I am making a jalapeno and bacon cheese ball. We love cheese trays in my family, so I think this will be a hit.  We loooove green bean casserole, so I am keeping that on the menu, but just changing it up a little. Instead of using the usual "cream of mushroom," I'm going to use a recipe called, "Grandma's Green Bean Casserole." It looked a lot more divine and homemade than just throwing a can of mushrooms and green beans in a dish. Next, I decided to make a seven layer salad instead of just a regular tossed salad. I got the idea from my friend, Heather, over at her blog. I found an awesome recipe off Pinterest, so I can't wait to try it out! I'm also going to incorporate a new mashed potatoes with gouda and bacon crumbles this Thanksgiving. We usually just have regular mashed potatoes or potato casserole, but I'm going to "amp" them up a little. I adore gouda, so what could possibly be better than mashed potatoes, gouda cheese, and bacon? Absolutely nothing...For dessert, I am making a pumpkin bundt cake with a caramel icing. I cannnnnnot wait. I think I adore the fall time because I get to have pumpkin in everything! I don't know what it is about bundt cakes, but I love them. I don't know if it's because they are so simple to prepare, slicing is easy, or that they hold their moisture, but I love to make them. I hope my family will adore this recipe. I've used it for a friend before, so I'm excited to get my bundt pan out and make it again. My dad is smoking a turkey and I'm sure we'll have other sides from different family members. It's going to be a great Thanksgiving meal and I cannnnnot wait. Good thing I am running a 4 miler that morning, so I won't feel bad about gorging in all the scrumptious food.


1. Grandma's Green Bean Casserole



2. Seven Layer Salad


3. Mashed Potatoes with Gouda and Bacon Crumbles


4. Pumpkin Biscoff Bundt Cake



5. Appetizer: Bacon Jalapeno Cheese ball



What all are you guys making for your Thanksgiving meal?


1 comment:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Totally going to make that green bean casserole for my other Christmas dinner, as well as the Gouda potatoes. Going to check out your 7 layer salad recipe. It's probably better than mine!