Monday, November 28, 2011

Chicken Corn Chowder...



 I should have done this post A LONG time ago, but never got around to it. I can't take complete credit of this wonderful soup, because I got the majority of it from Pioneer Woman. I don't know about you, but I love anything that is a chowder. I love to make soups. I can make a big batch, eat on it, and freeze whatever we will not eat at the time. It is great and easy! I was on the hunt for a Corn Chowder recipe about a year ago when I ran across Pioneer Woman. I'm sure the majority of you have heard of her, but if not, definitely check her website out. A lot of her meals are cooked with whipping cream, butter, or pasta, but I don't care when it comes to this recipe. Like I said, I LOVE anything that is a chowder. I have substituted a few things, added a couple things, and adjusted a few ingredients to fit my family and myself. Here is the original recipe, Corn Chowder with Chilies. The men in my family love meat, so I knew I needed to add some sort of meat to this soup to become a hit. I thought chicken would be a wonderful addition to this chowder! Pioneer Woman does not use chicken in her recipe, so when she adds the corn to the pot, I add the chicken as well. Before I start cooking the soup, I boil the chicken first. I usually will use an entire bag of chicken breasts. I boil the chicken with water, onion salt, cayenne pepper, and Lowery's Seasoned salt. After the chicken is finished, I will shred it. I have diced the chicken and cut it into cubes, but my family and I tend to like the chicken shredded. It tastes better with the onions and corn. The other difference: sweet corn....I don't tend to use fresh corn, because this soup already takes a lot of time, so I try to keep the amount of work down. I started using frozen sweet corn awhile back and it was DIVINE. The chowder calls for several different types of peppers, so the sweet corn just makes it sweet and spicy at once! What more could you ask for?! Also, my family and I like spicy soups. It calls for 1 or 2 Adobe peppers, but I will usually use 4. It adds a little "spunk" to it...;) I really hope you will try this soup out! Your family will love it! I have made it a MILLION times, and it is a hit with my family everytime. With winter around the corner, I think you've made a smart decision....;)

No comments: