Tuesday, December 9, 2014

My First Half Marathon

It was an awesome weekend. Friday night, Emily and I and our husbands went to the Expo to pick up our bags and bib and walk around. It was filled with running stuff! It was so much fun! We ended the night at Huey's with a couple of burgers and fries to carb up! Saturday morning, I woke up around 5:45 and got some toast and coffee in my system. We made our way down to the starting line around 7:30 and patiently waited. I was starting to get nervous, but I knew everything would be alright because I was with my girls. Once we started, I was feeling good, but over-all, it wasn't a great race for me. By mile 9, I was starting to have some trouble with my right hip. I'm not sure what it was because I have never experienced it on my long runs, but it HURT. I stopped every so often and stretched it out as much as I could. It actually hurt more to walk than it did run! Crazy! By mile 11, my hip was throbbing. I tried to ignore it and just focused on my music and making it across the finish line! I'm not sure how I did it, but I finished! It was such a wonderful experience. I honestly cannot believe that I am a half-marathoner now, but boy it feels good! Someone asked me if I would ever do it again, and I said, " Absolutely!" I am already contemplating signing up for the Germantown half marathon in March. I will start training next week and training harder than before, so I won't have any hip problems! I'm still a little sore, but not too bad! I've been icing since I finished on Saturday morning! ha! Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement! 









4 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Congrats Brittney!! That's amazing! You should be so proud of yourself. :-)

I can't believe I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2002. I had horrible pain towards the end too and running felt better than walking. Our bodies can do amaaaaazing things!

Tess said...

You finished!!!!!!! That's all that mattered for me, because forever you are a half marathon finisher!!!!

The Wiscott's said...

Congrats on finishing your 1/2 marathon

Katie Elizabeth said...

Congrats lady!! This is an amazing accomplishment!